RE: [compost_tea] Hot (not warm) weather AACT considerations

From: Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:11:52 -0700

Re Fungi and tilling. I’m still trying to grasp this one. By tilling soil
we’re killing a lot of the fungi, I can understand that. But in our
composts, we are supposed to turn them to keep them aerated and to keep the
temps from going too high and killing the b and f…

Is there not a conflict here?

Doesn’t turning the compost then kill our fungi too? What effect too, does
putting them in a bubbling and turbulent brewer that bounces them about in
their compost bags – they’re bounced around when we dig into the compost
piles, then when we fill the bag, then when we place the bag in the barrel,
then turn on the brewer, then they have to get out of the bag into the brew,
then the pump to get them into the sprayer, ugh, the sprayer……..

Am I thinking about this too much?????

I’m finally getting some nice white strands in my compost (thanks to the
seminar, I’ve made some major changes in my composting !!). I’ve almost
become friends with my new compost companions – thank goodness I have no
neighbors close by to see me talking with my fungi -- I’m afraid to turn it
and kill them. He’p me here!! I’ve become a (ok, more of) fanatic these
days…

Mike