[compost_tea] Re: Effects of chlorinated water

From: Chad Clancy <ChadClancy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:54:57 -0700 (PDT)

Tom writes:

"Aeration may or may not remove chlorine and will not remove chlorimines used by
many municipalities."

Good point that I should have mentioned in my previous post. Any advice on chlorine dissipation or tests done to study the effects of chlorinated water w.r.t. CT should differentiate between water treated with chlorine vs. chloramine because chloramines are much more difficult to remove - i.e., aeration doesn't work.

I am lucky in that my municipality just uses chlorine (the water is treated with sodium hypochlorite - bleach) which can be dissipated via aeration. If they used chloramines, I'm guessing that the chloramine level would be the same when the irrigation water hits the soil as it was out of the spigot.

I would personally like to see study results for both water treated with chlorine and chloramine, just to see the differences. A good study would be to test the levels of biota in the soil pre- and post-irrigation using treated water. The level of chlorine/chloramine should be tested at the spigot and as it would be as it makes contact with the soil. Another study would be to use chloramine-treated water to make CT as compared to a similar batch made with chlorine-free water.

Anyone need a thesis topic?