Re: [compost_tea] Root nematodes in potatoes

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:16:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Merla - compost usually has predatory nematodes that eat toot eaing nematodes. I think there may be a way to buy just the predatory nematodes but the List wlii come up with that if they are available. In any cse lots of compost and compost tea would likely control the problem. They need a brewer, a good source of compost, lotss of soil drench with the cover crop. Probably beat the problem in one year.

How is your road project going ? They need a brewer and compost.
You sell the brewer. You get the sales commision.

dealer cost - BobO 540 retail $ 715
                    Bitti 135 195
Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net> wrote:
A friend at the Farmer's Market at Sandpoint talked to me yesterday
about their problem with root nematodes. She said they thought they
might have come in on some Yukon Gold potatoes they bought from Garden My opinion is that there are root feeders in all soil. The best management is to have preditory nematodes in enough numbers to keep the root feeders under control.
City Seeds. They have used hogs to try and get up every bit of potato I doubt that getting out the potatoes will get out the root feeding nematodes.
out of that field and then put a cover crop on it. I told her about the
nematodes that eat root-feeding nematodes and that she could possibly
get some of these from SFI. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what SFI won't have preditory but they may know where to get them. they can look at compost and tell them that there are predatory nematoe in the compost.
they can do besides just wait three years in cover crop? She also asked
whether root nematodes ate all other root crops or roots of all crops or
if there were specific ones they liked. they eat many if not all roots. that is why I doubt that a cover crop eill get rid of the root eaters.

Best,

Merla Barberie

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor