[compost_tea] Soil drench/application

From: bgunzy <bgunzy_at_netins.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 02:58:04 -0000

I see the term "soil drench" a lot here and in the compost tea
manual. Does this refer to a soil application verses a foliar
application? The main reason I bring this up is that I see
application rates associated with soil drench at 15 gal/ac of compost
tea, compared to 5 gal/ac for foliar application. This affects the
logistics and quantities required for application periods.

I'd like to plan to apply ACT both in the fall after tillage
(possibly during tillage) and in the spring before planting
(primarily corn and soybeans), in addition to at least one foliar
application. Should/can ACT be applied with the tillage, such as
being incorporated, or after the tillage? Of course, the idea is
that tillage become unnecessary with enough ACT applications, but
this mostly applies to the first couple of years or so.

What specific herbicides are detrimental to aerobic microbes?
Atrazine? Alachlor? Are soil-based herbicides worse than post
application herbicides? Just trying to gauge how much damage to the
microbes that would occur with herbicide application. And, I'm
guessing that mixing the ACT and the herbicides together would not be
a good thing?

Thanks from a learning novice

http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM