Re: [compost_tea] Soil drench/application

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:35:25 -0700 (PDT)

Bob I suspect you will get stomped on that - those questions. Maybe a stampede.

The idea of ACT is that NO pesticiedes will be needed with good ACT application and pesticides are not compatible with ACT. Maybe there are some that work with ACT if they work LIKE ACT in not killing other microbes but in out living them.

It might be better to think in terms of what nutriant should you apply to the soil when you are aplyng ACT to the soil so the new Bio will have nutrients until they become extablished with growing plants.

Foliar microbes land on plant tissure that is able to furnish nutrients to keep the bacteria/ fungi alive. I would expect it to take 5 g ACT + 15 + g water per acre to get the foliar cover wanted. Soil drench at 15 GPAcre wold join 45 gallons of water per acre to get the penetration needed to let the microbes survive. Adding nutrients to the water to sustain the bacteria, fngi, protozoa and beneficial nematodes.

We find in yard work that we normally apply several times the amount of ACT per acre.
Orchards and vinyards will ceratinly need more. Bt ACT is not a critical cost factor.
If more is better more is not financially even close to the cost of pesticides. Be sure to include the cost of L&I when toxic sprays are used. Bob of Bob's Brewers

bgunzy <bgunzy_at_netins.net> wrote:
I see the term "soil drench" a lot here and in the compost tea
manual. Does this refer to a soil application verses a foliar
application? The main reason I bring this up is that I see
application rates associated with soil drench at 15 gal/ac of compost
tea, compared to 5 gal/ac for foliar application. This affects the
logistics and quantities required for application periods.

I'd like to plan to apply ACT both in the fall after tillage
(possibly during tillage) and in the spring before planting
(primarily corn and soybeans), in addition to at least one foliar
application. Should/can ACT be applied with the tillage, such as
being incorporated, or after the tillage? Of course, the idea is
that tillage become unnecessary with enough ACT applications, but
this mostly applies to the first couple of years or so.

What specific herbicides are detrimental to aerobic microbes?
Atrazine? Alachlor? Are soil-based herbicides worse than post
application herbicides? Just trying to gauge how much damage to the
microbes that would occur with herbicide application. And, I'm
guessing that mixing the ACT and the herbicides together would not be
a good thing?

Thanks from a learning novice

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT