[compost_tea] Re: Friday Thoughts WAS:no-till farming

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:02:14 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Leonard" <kirk_at_o...> wrote:
> I've been holding my breath on several threads posed here recently,
and I
> like to visit with work friends on Fridays when I can. Here's a
bunch of
like to be
> shorter but have at least broken by subject... I think there's some
relevant
> stuff here.
>
> Re: Home Tests
>
> Doc E! Jeff! There was supposed to be a key item (hand microscope
and test
> kit?) for home testing available Aug 1. It has now been a year...:-
) Where
> is our real time tea test?

<><<<><Clipped<><><><><><<><>

Ditto and I've been on this board only a few days. PLEASE no finger
pointing! Dennis

<><><>><><><><><><>Clipped<><><><><><><><>

> > ACT, AFCT, SCT, AT, & NT. Could be another concept.
>
> I agree.There are many possibilities including:AnAerobic=AA Dennis

<><><><><>Clipped<><><><><><><><><>

> > From: "dkemnitz2000" <dkemnitz2000_at_y...>
> > Subject: no-till farming
> >
> > Would it be possible to grow corn profitably in the midwest
using no
> > till,ie no discing/plowing/ripping, no pesticides, no
herbicides, no
> > added NPK fertilizers while using ACT appropriately(as
necessary?)?

> Goodness I hope so, guy. Imagine that. Organic corn, clearly
grown with
> less input costs and land compaction (not to mention other soil and
environ
> costs...) in the heart of US corn country, no less.

<><<><<><<><><>Ditto again! I'm thinking plant, spray, spray, spray
and harvest! With todays high residue planters(of annuals) it seems
possible to plant directly into stover (and perhaps green
manures) .......And The Land Institute near Salina,KS is working to
turn annuals into perennials and then: plant,
spray,spray,harvest,spray,spray, harvest! Dennis

Around here (not corn
> country) farmers tell me "organic corn is a pain in the butt" so we
don't
> get much. If you can work it out, I think you've got something
good, but
> I'd think you would still want to turn in the stover or stubble.
One or two
> passes, or three including harvest sure beats 10 or more. Rodale
book above
> has some interesting two-step treatments, including stover, I
think. Crop
> rotation also still seems important, as would simply keeping the
ground
> covered, a no-till natural. With green manures, stover or stubble,
and ACT
> you might not need to use compost? ACT as a main rudder applied
with last
> discing and then per crop needs? Seems to me it could be. Don't
know
> whether no-till will work well with large row crop fields, happy to
hear.

Bingo . I'm thinking no-till so the soil foodweb integrity is not
sacrificed. Essentially have a "field of compost" growing edible
fresh food.Dennis

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM