Re: [compost_tea] Mileage May Vary: Myco Competitors Say Different Things ab...

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:07:08 EDT

Hi Chris -

I'd say that the reply you got back from that company would suggest finding
someone more reputable would be a good idea.

In my experience, Mycorrhizal Applications (www.mycorrhizae.com) is a good
place to start. They do research, thye talk to most of the other researchers in
the biz, and they are connected to both Oregon State University ecto- and
endo-mycorrhizal people. They usually provide me with good data, test results
and published scientific data where such data exist.

There is a difference between sand and clay soils in regard to watering in.
When we've looked for spores (sorry, not published data) in sand, the spores
move downward quite rapidly. But in loam, or clay, very different story. If
there is organic matter in the soil, the spores hang-up on the OM. I recall
seeing published papers on this, but I couldn't track them for you easily.

Do a CD-ROM search on Agricola, or see if Mycorrhizal Applications has
references for you. Or perhaps ATTRA (www.ATTRA.org). Steve Diver often has
already researched this information and will share his references with folks.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic