[compost_tea] Re: Mileage May Vary: Myco Competitors Say Different Things ab...

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncatark.uark.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:08:52 -0000

Well, I compiled extensive web-based resources
on mycorrhizal suppliers, educational materials,
research, databases, and books into my resource
list "Symbiotic Mycorrhizal Fungi: Quarterback
of the Microbial Herd".

It is the most comprehensive listing on the web.

But my home page Rhizosphere II was taken off-line
to the public due to an organizational policy change.

So if you want the resource list, contact me
at ATTRA and I will provide it by email or
in print.

I'm at home this week on vacation, working
in my garden and working on the farmstead,
visiting with family. I'm trying different
gardening methods on a quarter acre patch.

Getting mycorrhizae into potting mix so
interaction with young seedling roots occurs
early in life seems to be the dynamic method.
Though, I have amended mycorrhizal inoculant into
transplant hole when setting plants into the
garden and on roadside flower beds.

It blew my mind when I read a forest paper
from British Columbia, in which it said
there are 5,000 species living in the
Canadian forest capable of forming mycorrhizal
associations.

Root-fungus. If you want a powerful analogy,
think of lichen which is a completely new
tissue formed from association of algae-fungi.

Well, mycorrhizae is like a below ground lichen.
New tissue evolves from association of roots
and fungi.

It extends the mycorrhizosphere several millimeters
into the surrounding soil, beyond the root tissue
itself.

So, play around with mycorrhizal inoculants in
addition to mineral fertilizers and composts
and compost teas. But also realize they are
all over the place and if you create favorable
conditions through humus management, you are
gaining their benefit. Some practices are notable,
such as leaf mould and leaf mulch and composts
and fungi-promoting practices like IMO No. 1 and
No. 2 from the forest floor, from Korean Natural
Farming Association.

Steve Diver
steved_at_ncat.org

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Hi Chris -
>
> I'd say that the reply you got back from that company would suggest
finding
> someone more reputable would be a good idea.
>
> In my experience, Mycorrhizal Applications (www.mycorrhizae.com) is
a good
> place to start. They do research, thye talk to most of the other
researchers in
> the biz, and they are connected to both Oregon State University
ecto- and
> endo-mycorrhizal people. They usually provide me with good data,
test results
> and published scientific data where such data exist.
>
> There is a difference between sand and clay soils in regard to
watering in.
> When we've looked for spores (sorry, not published data) in sand,
the spores
> move downward quite rapidly. But in loam, or clay, very different
story. If
> there is organic matter in the soil, the spores hang-up on the OM.
I recall

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM