[compost_tea] new to group, lots of questions

From: Elizabeth Fleming <elstrfleming_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:58:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

     I am new to the group, but appreciate the
thoughtful discussions I've read so far. My
background is in molecular biology, so I've plated out
my share of E.coli! I'll be going to grad school in
fall 2004, and I'm interested in studying soil
fertility particularly as it is influenced by
biological activity. This is of course a huge area,
so I'm using this year to do lots of studying and pare
it down. One question I have is: has anyone looked
at doing soil cultures rather than compost cultures?
Presumably a healthy soil growing your crop of
interest well will contain a balanced diversity of
organisms particularly suited to that crop. If you
could develop the right medium, you could amplify the
beneficials that are already there then add them back
into the soil. Would that get you what you need for
foliar applications? It certainly seems more
controlled and prescriptive, but in my naivete am I
missing something?

Paul, I am so sorry I missed your talk at the NOFA
conference, unfortunately I made a poor choice as to
which workshop to go to! But the conference was
incredible, my brain is bursting with ideas and
information.

Elizabeth Fleming
W. Hartford, CT

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com