Re: [compost_tea] Filtering ACT

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:26:30 -0700

Hello Jeff - I know that biological mats are formed (I suspect they are mos=
tly bacteria) because I had to remove them from the sides of the brewer and=
 the basket. These mucilagenous slimes, as they were called in my introduc=
tory soils class, were reduced considerably when I lowered the amount of m=
olasses I used from 64oz. per 50 gals to 8 or 16 oz. per 50 gallon. Sugar =
doesn't grow a lot of fungi so I assumed it was mostly bacterial in nature.=
  Also, when filtered out, they can be formed into organic, almost peat-lik=
e balls, that are unlike the vermicompost and/or other soluble food produc=
ts I added at the beginning of the brew. Where do you think they came from=
??

Dave