Re: [compost_tea] Coliform in tea

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:41:09 -0400

Hi Autumn -

As I keep saying, over and over, until I'm a bit tired of saying this, and WISH people would listen, read, pay attention!

The tea has to have SEVERAL conditions before human pathogens will be reduced.

Got that everyone? SEVERAL conditions, not just keeping the tea aerated.

What else is needed besides maintaining conditions above 6 ppm? I'm sorry to use the Socratic method on you, Autumn, but you have been to an SFI training session -

What are the THREE conditions necessary to reduce human pathogens in tea?

And I have hammered on this point as well -

What's the difference between a coliform, a fecal coliform and E. coli? Which ONE is of concern? I've answered this several times.

I'll answer both questions ONE LAST TIME, if you really can't find the answer. But after this, I'm just going to say, it's in the Compost Tea Brewing Manual, third and fourth editions. Please go check it out.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY