[compost_tea] RE: Jeff Lowenfels's Best Practices

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:42:50 -0400

Jeff,

AWESOME clarity and details on what you're doing. ENORMOUSLY helpful. I'm
adding your new notes to the best practices folder for inclusion in the
document to be posted here.

If anybody else wants to add info on the practices Jeff has advised us on,
or others, please do. You will help many.

I am a firm believer that this much clarity and precision is what will help
people learn and grow from others' experience.

Chris Reid

I use a sponge so I don't create scratches on the plastic and create
crevices for organisms to lodge.

Cleaning is really an essential part of the whole experience. You have to
get very religious about it. Yeah, sponging is a good suggestion, though
they can be microscopically rough so don't sponge too hard! I clean my
machines off as soon as I stop brewing. A hard blast of water gets all the
grime off, a spray or soak with Oxy clean helps. Hydrogen Peroxide is
great. And don't forget exposure to sun and some fresh air!
You have to be clean.

4. If you have an air machine, throw in a handful of bark (orchid bark?) or
large sticks to help break up compost while you brew.

QUESTION: What do you mean, break it up? Do you mean, dislodge
microorganisms? The compost I use is not lumpy, for example. Just want to
understand.

Yes, provide some grit to dislodge microorganisms via turbidity and actual
contact. This is especially important if you keep your compost/humus in a
confined area while you brew. I use old orchid bark. It is easy to get out
once you stop brewing as it floats to the top.

5. Use only Kelp and Humic Acids as your ingredients to start.

QUESTION: Do you have a recipe recommendation? For example, how much kelp
and humic acid per 5 gallons of tea, with how much compost? Also, kelp
comes as kelp meal, kelp extract, and I think liquid foods with a percentage
as kelp. Specifics will help people new to these ingredients.

One teaspoon powdered humic acid product per 5 gallons. Not sure what the
liquid equivalent is...
One to two tablespoons powdered (1/2 ounce), water soluable Kelp extract.

This is a starter recipe. Each machine is different. See how you do with
this and then, based upon SFI recommendations, alter it. You will note it
does not include any sugars. I use Alaska Humus and you don't need sugars.
However, if your compost doesn't have high bacterial numbers, you may want
to add a tablespoon of molasses per five gallons.

O.K.? I don't have the latest CT manual and lent my old one out this spring
and haven't seen it since! So, if any of this is in dispute with the manual,
let me know.

The key thing, however, is to spend the bucks and do some testing. Yes, you
should be able to rely on the manufacturers and the SFI tests that have
already been done. However, you really need to do one or two tests to make
sure YOU are not an important variable!

Cheers,

Jeff L

[This message contained attachments]