[compost_tea] sodium benzoate was Re: Fruit Club Update

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:16:24 -0000

I found the information I had previously read. It sounds like once
this preservative hits our water at a pH of 7.5 it's rendered useless
as an "icide".
Although I have to admit that just because it's in every soda pop (I
drink none!) doesn't make me feel good about it.

sodium benzoate
NOUN: The sodium salt of benzoic acid, NaC7H5O2, used as a food
preservative, an antiseptic, and an intermediate in dye manufacture
and in the production of pharmaceuticals. Also called benzoate of
soda.
Sodium benzoate has been used as a food preservative since the early
1900's. It is employed in a wide range of preservative applications
because of its antimicrobial action combined with its low toxicity
and low taste. It is most suitable when used in foods and beverages
with a pH of 4.5 and below and is not recommended for use when the pH
exceeds 4.5.

The lower the pH level, the greater the effectiveness of sodium
benzoate on yeasts, molds and bacteria. At low pH levels, it may
impart a slight tang if used at maximum concentration levels (0.1%).
To maximize its effectiveness against enzyme formation, it is
recommended that it be added at the earliest processing step possible.

Sodium benzoate is widely used in carbonated and non-carbonated
beverages, fruit and fruit juices, syrups, jams and jellies, prepared
salads, tomato-based products (including sauce, paste and salsa),
margarine, olives, pickles and other condiments. It also is used in
conjunction with fumaric acid and boric acid for fish preservation.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "tomjasz" <tom_at_l...> wrote:
> The next question should be, what effect does the preservative have
> on the end product. Tom Piatkowski will hopefully write some on the
> effect. I believe Saponyn also has a preservative. I have used and
> tested with ThermX70 and Saponyn and test results didn't show any
> problem. Highland, I think, uses Saponyn in their ACT and has had
> some of the most diverse teas brewed to date. I think we should
check
> the science here. Unfortunately the users of preservative free
Yucca

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM