[compost_tea] Re: Korean Natural Farming - IMO techniques

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:12:45 -0000

---Chris, In general I could put the sample in the ground and spray
the result on a strip of crop and make observations. I am not in a
micro lab nowadays so can not id any microorganisms. To run one
sample in a lab for coliform the sample has to be plated and
incubated 24 hours then read. At this point you record either
positive (presumptive)or negative for coliform bacteria. If negative
you're done; if positive you go into another series of tests to
determine whether presumptive coliform can be confirmed. I believe
after two more days that test is read. If positive then you go into
another test series to see whether it's E. coli. Maybe another test
is required to id the strain of e. coli? I'm not sure. In food we
usually are negative for presumptive coliform and we're done with
that sample. And we say "ship it".
  As far as active bacteria staining I remember the thread. But it's
gotta be more inviolved than that. And where would sporeformers come
in:active or inactive. And what about bacteria in the lag growth
phase. One general stain used in micro differentiates gram + and
gram - bacteria. I'm pretty sure Dr. Ingham's not talking about that
gram stain but a stain she uses in conjunction with
the ...fluorescence scope. I'd be interested in helping where I can
though. Thanks Chris Dennis

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, chris reid <reidchris_at_e...> wrote:
> Steve Diver recently sent me a piece written by Gil Carandang
describing the
> Korean Natural Farming methods of harvesting native microorganisms.
>
> I would be interested in knowing if anybody with laboratory access
(Dennis
> Kemnitz, Elizabeth Fleming, anyone else?) has any interest in
verifying
> these techniques work to isolate the organisms they say they
isolate?

> Briefly, some examples of techniques:
>
> 1. Wash rice, save rinse water, culture in a dark place with loose
fitting
> lid for 5 days. Add 10 to 1 milk and let it culture till it
separates.
> Save the liquid which is said to be pure lacto bacilli. Mix with
equal
> parts molasses to store, or store in refrigerator.
>
> 2. Bury a "plastic lunch box" of one inch of cooked rice plus air
space,
> covered with metal mesh in very good deep leaf litter (you'll laugh
or
> cry -- he talks about it being a yard deep). In 2 - 10 days,
depending on
> temperature, you will have "beneficial forest organisms" growing in
the
> rice. You then add 1/3 molasses and let it sit for another week to
produce
> the inoculum. More molasses (in equal parts) is added to preserve
it and it
> is used at a diluted rate of 1 to 20.
>
> I've been forbidden to try these experiments at home and keep them
in the
> refrigerator, as my significant other has qualms about my growing
> microorganisms in the first place. This is not an entirely bad
point of
> view to take, though I must say that we are conducting science
experiments
> daily in the refrigerator when we forget to clean it out...
>
> If you are interested in working with this method to see what it is
and what
> it does, and want to request this piece from Steve, don't forget
he's
> working under a grant and needs some basic info from you. There
does exist
> a translation of a book on these techniques, written and published
by the
> Korean Natural Farming Association, which I am trying to get my
hands on.

> Here's the info you need and the contact info for Steve, who is
also on this
> list:
>
> Request: Indigenous Mocroorganisms: Grow Your Own by Gil Carandang
>
> INCLUDE: Name, Address, Phone, Email, Occupation (preferably
> with a few details, like acreage and crops grown)
>
> EMAIL: steved_at_n...
>
> Chris Reid

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM