Re: [compost_tea] Forest Floors

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:17:06 -0700 (PDT)

St Helens dust produced a beneficial effect o farm production according to reports I recall.
there are hills of the stuff along I-5 near the toutle river. If it makes good TEA there is a world supply. Mixed with AH ? Bob

Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com> wrote:
Hey all, I've spent that past couple weeks backpacking the mountains. Having loads of compost tea group messages in my mind - I was full of thought.

Kind of off topic, but somewhat biology related...

While sitting, listening to a couple large bull elk bugling at each other, I began pulling at the duff in the forest floor. As I probed past the top pine needle litter I found a grey gritty layer that went several inches deep (actually, I couldn't find the bottom). Does anyone know, is this decomposed forest matter, or could it be the deep ash laid down by Mt St. Helens' eruptions years before. I was definitely hiking in the area of it's ash path.

In any event, I started looking closer and saw lots of white fungus looking jewels and many roots probing around in it.

Any idea where I can find information scientific studies on this? I did a quick internet search, but my search terms didn't get me much by way of this subject. Not that I'd go mining for this stuff, but I'm curious how this might work to inoculating compost / compost tea?

I hear lots about rock dusts, if its from St Helens' blast - could this contain some beneficial components for plant matter? Has anyone heard of any tests done on this ash?

If its not ash, and thats what forest duff looks like - I'd like to look into this biology as well. The forest floor seemed to be thriving, although dry. I always expected material high in OG to be dark, this was lighter gray.

Just curious, and one of the many things that circled my mind during a looong, tiring, but invigorating trip into the mountains. Amazing what goes through one's mind while alone in the woods.

Sad to see, that of the hundred or so messages from AACT since I had been out, that the standard testing thread had died. Oh well.

Mike

JMT SYSTEMS CONSULTING
Systems Development & Network Administration
509 968-9015 / Fax: 509 968-9016
http://www.jmtsystems.com

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT