Re: Tactics to introduce CSA

Jonathan,

The Equity Trust is a non-profit organization that provides technical
assistance to CSA's on issues of land tenure and affordable financing.

We worked with Live Power Community Farm in Covelo, CA to set up an
innovative conservation easement which made the land more affordable to the
farmers.  Unlike traditional conservation agreements, the easement they
designed requires continuing agricultural use of the land by resident
farmers, using sustainable farming methods, and limits future transfer costs
to the appraised agricultural value.

We also worked with Michael Ableman of Fairview Gardens (another email
respondent had mentioned his name).  We provided technical assistance and a
bridge loan to help him purchase an easement and option.

We can provide limited financing, but focus more on helping farmers work with
other lenders and their community to generate the necessary capital.

We have an upcoming workshop called "Gaining Ground" in eastern Connecticut
on February 7-8 where we'll discuss these issues.  Give us a call at (860)
376-6174 to talk in more detail.

Kevin Kilb
Equity Trust