Why I'm Not Going to Whidbey Island This Year

Sometimes arrangements and plans work out, and sometimes they don't.

I will not be relocating to Whidbey Island this year to operate the "Our
Farm" CSA after all.

I do think that the "Our Farm" folks are sincere in their desire to form a
CSA.  I've suggested that they get a group together and work with the group
to make a land use arrangement with the landowner and hire a farmer.  And
that they do some more research until they clearly understand that CSA is a
different paradigm, not just a new marketing scheme for the old "Farmer
makes all the investment, does all the work, takes all the risk"
agribusiness model.

But the communications -- strongly hampered by the long-distance nature --
were just too poor to convince me to undertake a sizeable financial
investment and commitment of six months or more as an unpaid volunteer to
get their show on the road.   The opportunity turned out to be simply an
offer of land and a small bedroom in a very small house to rent for lots of
money, which I can find by contacting any real estate agent.  It was
inaccurate (though not, I'm sure, intentionally so) to represent it as a
CSA Operator position.

But it might work out just fine if somebody's interested in a farm to rent.

Dori Green:  Writer, Farmer, Facilitator
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
http://www.servtech.com/public/funfarm/index.html