Re: codling moth

There is a lot you can do to reduce your Codling Moth population. Your
strategy will depend on numerous factors (acreage, varieties, topography
etc.), so I recommend contacting your local land grant university extension
service, most county's in agricultural regions have at least one.

Some of the techniques I have used include: predatorial Trichogramma wasps,
pheromone confusion (this one seems to only work well on blocks of over five
acres), banding trees in the fall with corrugated cardboard-in which the
larvae like to crawl into to cocoon--and than removing and burning the strips
(long enough to go all the way around the tree trunk and about six inches
wide), and Granulosis Virus, which is hopefully going to be available in
California this year.  Good orchard maintenance also goes a long way--cleaning
up ground falls and other debris where Codling Moths will over-winter.

Here are some WWW sites that might point you in some helpful directions:
<A HREF="http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/apple/applpage.htm">Apple IPM-Maine</A>
http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/apple/applpage.htm
<A HREF="http://orchard.uvm.edu/">Virtual Orchard</A>
http://orchard.uvm.edu/

Also Sean Swezey at UC Santa Cruz  extension is a great resource for organic
apple growers.  I don't have his number off hand, but you can probably track
him down.

Good Luck,
Greg Peck