Publicizing Our CSAs

Some of the things we're doing this year -- what are other folks up to?

1.  Major presence at local farmer's market every other Saturday.  Sometimes
     we take no produce, just a nice collection of home-grown houseplants and
     one or two five-month-old goat kids in their portable pen -- with our BIG
     sign.  Every other week works as well as every week -- it's okay to be
     missed once in a while!

2.  Reacting with a big enthusiastic smile when somebody from the Grange says
     "Wow, this sounds like something we ought to get behind and support and
     promote!" -- and swallowing down (oo, it's hard and bitter) that "And
where
     the heck have you guys been for the past eight years?" reply that's
trying to
     chisel its way out between the gap in my front teeth.

3.  Participating during one of the off-weeks (see #1) in Revolutionary and
Civil
     War Re-enactments -- in costume, with those goat kids.  It helps to have
     character and a costume.  On August 29 and 30 I'm going to be at Newtown
     Battlefield playing a German Lady Settler having a bit of a conflict with
     Delaware Warrior who keeps stealing my goat.  It also helps to have a
goat
     kid who is just about too big to carry, doesn't walk on a leash worth a
darn,
     loves crowds, and comes running into your arms when you whistle.  This
trick
     requires an inexaustible supply of raisins.  Does anybody know the German
     word for "Goat"?  I'll also be dispensing herbal remedies -- mostly
comfrey and
     homemade pansy salve for bumps and bruises.  And of course brochures
     about the farm and our co-op goat herd will be posted at the entrance.

4.  Participating in other community events.  I'll be at Corning's Chili and
     Chocolate Cookoff with goat milk fudge in early October.  Two years
     ago I took part in the chili cookoff but that's too much work for just
     one person.  Desserts may be cooked ahead and served up
     with a smile and a special brochure announcing our October and
     November workshops and events.

Absolutely, all of this stuff is hard work, and takes time away from the farm.
It's also a _lot_ of fun, and sometimes it's A Good Thing to get away from the
farm
for a few hours.  And it's an investment -- can't buy the kind of coverage
that activities like these can bring (all we have to do is notify the press a
week or so ahead -- they love having the human-interest hook handed to them).

Dori Green, Facilitator (and journalist by training)
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY