CSA handbook

I've just subscribed to the list and would like to introduce myself
before listing the information about the handbook.  My name is Margaret
Hoeffel and I live in the Vashon Cohousing community (formed in 1989) on
Vashon Island in Puget Sound.  We are an almost full (1 share left to
sell) community of 18 households clustered on a little less than 4 acres
of land.  We have almost 12 acres total but the remaining land is
wetlands.  There is a 20 acre piece adjoining our property-a mixture of
wetlands, forest and open fields-that is being purchased by a non-profit
group on the island for a 19-unit low income housing project.  The
housing will be clustered on 1/3 of the property with the remaining
acreage left in open space.  The entire piece will be a community land
trust.  I am negotiating with the board of the non-profit to create a
2-acre community supported farm.  There is the potential for many more
wonderful things happening there like wetlands resoration and walking
trails (we are very close to the TOWN of Vashon) and community p-patches
and we are forming a steering committee to oversee the use of the entire
site.  I have a verbal agreement for the farm but have yet to work out
the details of a long term lease.  (they are not comfortable with a
conservation easement at this point). There is already a very successful,
small (35 members) CSA on the island with a couple of even smaller ones
and a couple more that will be starting up next year. Bob and Bonnie
Gregson of Island Meadow Farm have written a handbook that might be of
interest to those starting out or wondering if you can make a living
doing a CSA. (They actually have a combination CSA and self-serve stand
operation.)  Here's how to get a copy:

For a copy of: Rebirth of the Small Family Farm: A Handbook for Starting
a Successful Organic Farm Based on the CSA Concept, send $9.95 to: IMF,
Box 2542, Vashon, WA 98070

Bob and Bonnie are real activists in this area (Bob is on the King County
Ag Commission) and are starting to have classes on their farm to teach
people how to do what they do.  I'm trying to convince them to get a
computer!

I'm looking forward to being a part of this virtual group.

Margaret Hoeffel, 10421 SW Bank Road #18, Vashon, WA 98070