Request for some practical tips.

I have just moved into a house sitting on 1/2 acre in Oklahoma City.  I am
taking a class called Master Gardener at the local County Extension.  This
year is my learning year for crop production.  When I think I am ready, I will
look at buying or leasing some land out of town, and hopefully set up a CSA.
Any way I hope it is ok to ask for a little practical advice on this board.
If not please let me know.  I am planning to start with a section of the
garden about 4,000 square feet.   The soil is almost pure sand, and it is
currently covered with bermuda grass.  At the Extension they are telling me to
clear it with Round Up, ready for fortifying and planting in the spring.  I am
assuming round up is toxic, and not desireable (I want to learn organic way).
I suspect a cover crop, or sheet mulch may be better, but have no experience,
so would love to hear some alternative suggestions. Along those lines, I am
not sure if I should get a rototiller or not.  I dont know what is a feasible
area to think in terms of spading.  Again any thougts would be helpfull.
Finally, any suggestions for a fall/winter vegetable crop.  It is currently
very hot, and very dry here, but the first frost may come late October.

Thanks from hot and sunny Oklahoma City.  If any one on the list is located in
my neighborhood, please let me know, I am anxious to network.

Dave