Re: price structure

>CSA is a reciprocal arrangement - yes, if its a good year shareholders
>can make out like bandits.  You, on the other hand, knew upfront how
>much money you were going to make and didn't have to worry about selling
>whatever grew to a frequent fickle public.

I agree with Debbie's point and would add that your share price should
reflect what it costs you (including living-wage salaries) to grow and
harvest the food your members receive.  One of the opportunities afforded by
a CSA arrangement it doesn't pressure you to make the most money you can --
or encourage consumers to get the best deal possible -- from your farm, but
rather enables you to know that your costs are covered.

Was your share price determined by creating an annual budget for the farm
(with inputs, labor, capital expenses, etc.) and then dividing it by the
number of shares you wanted sell (plus other income)?  If not, that might be
a helpful way to think through what you need from the share price -- rather
than wondering what the market will bear or whether your price is in line
with other CSA growers.  CSA is not about cheap food, and in my experience,
many, maybe most, consumers will respond positively to explanations about
share increases if they understand how the money is being spent.

Just Food, a New York non-profit organization, has a tip sheet on CSA
budgeting that was written for core groups, but covers farm expenses and
share pricing.  It can be requested from Just Food: 212/674.8124 x109, or by
snail mail:  625 Broadway, Suite 9C, NY NY  10012.  Whether requesting the
tip sheet via phone or mail, include your full contact information, with fax
and email if applicable.

Sarah Milstein
Roxbury Farm Core Group/New York City
(and late of Just Food)