Re: price structure

Really great letters on this. Thanks everyone. Here is mine.

I'd just add that I have found it very good to have an outlet (farmers'
market) besides the CSA. I moved from strictly a farmers' market to
stricly CSA for two years. Last year I again began selling at the
Farmers' market in conjunction with a CSA. This is working much better.

This year I raised the cost of the CSA to $400.00 for 26 weeks. My
subscribers seem to be happy. This is the 3rd CSA season. I've had a lot
of turn over, started with 30 subscribers, raised it up to 40, and am
now down to around 20 - some of these are trades. The vast majority are
married couples with young kids.

I like the smaller numbers since I can enjoy getting to know them better
and I am less hassled with planning for a larger number of families.
Basicly I do all the work myself. I farm about 2 acres. I have a  1/3rd
acre orchard with 99 peach trees and sell "Extra Fancy Peaches" - this
year I've managed to get $2.50/lb. for them. I have put up signs that
read "DANGER - Approach with CAUTION!  Very EXPENSIVE Peaches!" And sell
out anyway.  - But then they are the best peaches! The subscribers get
the #2s and boxes of "messy peaches".

Peach leaf curl was bad and the trees dropped alot of their fruit this
year so I planted a big watermelon patch to help make up for the income
loss. ( I sell these at $.25/lb and guarrantee them good or I will give
them a free one or their money back. - I grow very good melons. I do end
up having people tell me they got one that wasn't so good. I always
thank them for coming back and we work out something that will please
them.

I plant enough potatoes so that my subscribers get half, which is enough
for  3lbs. every week from July until the end of the season. -
Thanksgiving - the other half I sell at the market for $1.00/lb.

The subscription season ends Thanksgiving week, but I sell carrots and
other root and vegetable crops through winter and early spring. This is
the 9th year I have vegetable farmed this same land and I finally
feeling like I am getting the knack of growing things: getting the
proper and necessary things seeded and weeded and staked and tied at the
proper time. (It does get better and easier as you learn.)

This year I've cut back on the plantings of vegetables that have
overwhelmed my subscribers in the past, like cucumbers, peppers, squash
etc. Now they get some, but usually not too much, so it doesn't
discourage them. People hate to waste, and I have more space in the
garden for things they do like - like sweet corn.

I grow heirloom varieties of tomatoes. If I have plenty I will sell some
of the pretty ones at the market for $1.50/lb. (double the next highest
tomato price at the market but still below what I think they are worth
due to low production and great taste.). I have customers that are
grateful that I don't give them all to my subscribers - they really
missed them the two years I didn't sell at the market.

I think my subscribers are happier too, because they see the high prices
I get for the food I do sell and appreciate their SHARE more.

Do I make enough money?

No, but I make more than I use to. I work less and get more done. My
expenses are less than they use to be. I've got the equipment I need.
Now it is just maintenance. I love the people I grow for. My addictions
are trashy but cheap. My clothes are Salvation Army or gifts. My wife
paid off our little house. Hopefully our teeth won't rot and our health
holds.

This week my subscribers will get:

8 small ears sweet corn - last of the season

4 lbs. peaches  (NOTE:  5 boxes messy peaches for those that want to
mess with them.)
1 watermelon
3 - large to small cantelope
(The absolute peak of the sweet fruit season.)

3 lbs. tomatoes
3 lbs. potatoes
1 regular cucumber  and 3 lemon cucumbers
4 medium bell peppers
4 black Czeck hot peppers
2 medium eggplants
1 small bunch basil