Re: [Fwd: Honeybee mites]

Hi Eric. I thought I'd copy your attachment onto a reply so anyone who
can't download it can read it here. And it so happens I'm doing just
what I thought I might. Observe.
Subject:
        Honeybee mites
  Date:
        Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:09:58 -0600
  From:
        Eric Belsey <egbelsey@holly.colostate.edu>
    To:
        csa-L@prarienet.org

My entomology prof raises Buckfast Bees- a strain developed by a
recently deceased monk at the Buckfast Abbey in England that are claimed
to be resistant to mites. A search for Buckfast bees turns up some web
resources. Here's what the ol' PhD.  has to say:

The Weaver Brothers out of Texas are the US producers/distributors of
the
Buckfast bees.  They are widely recognized as being tolerant to the
tracheal
mite (not the varroa mite), although you don't see it in their
advertising,
I don't think.

[Let's see, the brothers are widely recognized? Or the bees are? And
then you don't see their tolerance or their recognition in whose
advertising? The bees' advertising or the brothers' advertising?]

Their tolerance is regularly mentionned in the
apiculture
publications, however. (Dr Whitney S. Cranshaw, author Pests of the
West, Bagging Big Bugs, and full professor in the Department Formerly
Known as Entomology, Colorado State University)

>Dr. Cranshaw-
>The other day in the garden, did you say that the Buckfast bee was
>resistant to the Varroa? or the Tracheal mite? I unerstand the tracheal
>mites were first detected in England in the 20's; did Brother Adam
breed
>resistance to these? Are they advertised as such to apiarists?
>thanks
>Eric Belsey

Thanks Eric. Do college professors like to make us think? Is that why
they don't specify what "it" and "they" and such refers to? Do they do
that to leave themselves an out? I'm glad to hear about the Buckfast
bees, but a few other respondents mentioned native pollinator bees as
well, which are apparently free of charge. Do you know where Buckfast
bees are native to? Aloha. Lloyd