Re: first things first

I'd begin by cautioning you to start small in shares, overplant and plan on marketing your overflow. And be upfront with your members, since they are an important part of your learning process.

Most growers would mechanically till to turn under the grass, and if possible plant a cover crop (depending on your climate) to protect the soil and compete against weeds.

A permaculture alternative is to mulch over your beds, with a bottom layer such as newspaper or cardboard. In the spring you punch in transplants or add a compost/soil layer for direct seeding. A more management intensive method is to use animals such as chickens or pigs in place of tilling.

Its always good to start by knowing what is traditional practice in your area, and then choose between that and some weird idea you read in a book or hear on the internet.
Good luck!
Jeff Hall, Ames Iowa

>>> John and Karen Rains <jnkrains@i-link-2.net> 10/06 4:19 PM >>>
Open question to CSA farmers:

I have an open field where I wish to begin my CSA farm, what would be
the first thing I should  do this fall?
The field has never had anything but grass grown there and cattle are
grazing on it but they can easily be moved off. It also is fenced on two
sides.
--
John Eric and Karen Rains
Lacamas Lakes Ranch