Re: Re[2]: Emergencies and Herbs

Pat wrote:
>I'll take a whack at this one even though I'm not an expert on
preserving &
>processing...
>
>Botulism spores are present in most garden soils & fresh foods & can
>reproduce without the presence of oxygen. They can be neutralised by
very
>thorough cooking, but the temperature must be higher than in normal
every
>day cooking. That is why instructions for home canning generally call
for
>processing under pressure or long time in boiling kettle.
>
>The spores do not remain viable long in high-acid environments. Dori
>suggested not preserving garlic in oil or other non-acid environment.
Most
>of our home-preserved foods (tomato sauce, pickels, jams etc...) are
high
>enough in acid content so that even less-than-perfectly preserved
preserves
>are still reasonably safe. Most preserved herbs are stored in vinegar
or
>alcohol (tincture I believe actually means preserved in alohol).
>
>Corn, mushrooms and other lo acid foods are tougher to home-can.
>Experienced home canners with proper equipment can preserve them
safely.
>Garlic- grown underground may have traces of soil & botulism spores
>adhering to the skin or under the vestigial rootlets. The oil & lo O2
>environment is nearly ideal for botulism growth.
>
>The fungal scum you mentioned grew in the interface between the high O2
&
>lo O2 environments in your herb jars. Botulinium Clostridium is
odourless,
>colourless, tasteless, grows in the O2 free depths of the oil & is not
>removeable like scum. I would recommned you stick to vinegar as a
>preservative medium.

Hi Pat. Thanks for the explanation. Vinegar or vodka is what Dr. Schulze
recommended for preserving tinctures. Vodka isn't acidic, is it? I'll
have to write to Dr. Schulze sometime to see if I misunderstood him, or
if he wants to deride you all. He probly won't answer, kuz he's very
busy, but Sam Biser might reply. I should review the video first and see
if I heard him right in the first place. Aloha. Lloyd