seeds, the book & animals

Hi!
Where do most farmers get their seeds? Are you saving seeds from year to
year to cut costs?

I have been reading with great interest "Farms of Tomorrow, Revisited"
by Groh and McFadden. What a great boo!. I love the ideaology behind the
CSA farm.

New to the vegetable farming, this book has given me a lot of insight as
to "why" this type of farming is so important to all of us. It also has
enabled me to put into words why I want to do this and actually explain
my idea's to others so that they too can understand.Most people I have
talked to have never heard of the idea, but not one person has said they
thought it was a bad idea.Almost everyone told me they would like to try
it.

One of the aspects of the book I liked what the explanation of the farm
animal and their relationship to the whole farm. While I understand the
reasons not to have animals (preference and lack of space), I now feel
very comfortable in the knowledge that the animals we have here on our
farm now can be utilized in conjunction with the farm. That was
something that had been bothering me. As a kid, I grew up here on this
farm and all my parents ever did was raise beef cattle. I knew I didn't
want to do just that, but then again, I didn't want to get rid of them
entirely.

If you have time, try and read this book. I don't think you'll be
disappointed.

For all of you experienced farmers, the first time you planted your
seeds, were you the least bit nervous? I keep thinking, "ok, I go and
buy all these seeds, with no clue as to what the market needs, I know
what I like and what others are planting. Then I get my ground ready,
plant my seeds, and depending on Mother Nature, my hard work and luck, I
will have A. a beautiful productive growing season or B. very little! I
am not afraid of having too much, I am more afraid of not having enough.
I would feel terrible if I have customers that don't feel like they are
getting their money's worth.

Karen Rains
--
John Eric and Karen Rains