Re: Value added in CSA's

I have worked on a CSA farm in northern California, Terra Firma Farm, and
some of the ideas that I know of (I do not know how well any of them have
worked) are:
	offer gift boxes of your products that people can give as gifts to
friends/family
		*such as 3# of 3 different types of potatoes--these sell in catalogs
for 		upwards of $25 or $30 plus shipping and handling in catalogs
		*or garlic braid
		*fruit or nuts (walnuts or hazelnuts if you have them) as gift boxes

If you have the possibility of laying up food you have produced in a
certified (health inspected kitchen) you could offer home-canned
corn/peas/tomatoes or preserves.  A woman at the berkeley farmers market
sells 1/2 pint jars of many (at least 30) kinds of jams and preserves
made with organic fruit for $5-$7 a jar.

Sell plant starts to your members, grow some berries and allow members to
upick or create, as one urban CSA in Portland has done (in cooperation
with another farmer) a birds and bees option where members capay extra
and get eggs/honey/fruit as a separate add on to the veggies.

Those are jsut a few ideas.  I would be very interested in hearing how
these ideas, or any others, have worked in real life for folks.

shalom
michael

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]