RE: Persuading a farmer

I know how independent and unpredictable, even contrary, an old farmer can be. My input would be to emphasize a) your connections and history in the community, and b) your feeling that many people in your community would probably like to help keep some farms as farms for future generations. Be positive, but casual. The worst thing would probably be to bring up the previous development.
Good luck! -Jeff Hall, Ames Iowa