Re: Genetically Modified planting seeds use on organic farms

Once national standards are really in place, seedsmen can identify "approved
for use by certified organic growers".  Would probably be a shorter list these
days ;-(

Want to support the people who are maintaining genetic diversity and
sustainable agriculture?  Join a CSA, get to know the organic farmers in your
area, lug the water to the livestock for them when they've got the flu and
it's -10 below.   Hey, I can dream can't I?  Or is it just the medication (for
the flu)?  <G>  I know, I know, you guys are the choir.

Waterlogged Dori Green, inside & out (sniffle snort -- thank goodness for
echinacea and boneset or I'd really be sick)

Maybe this year the garden will earn the $500 I need to fix that &()&^ broken
water line.  I hate contractors.  He KNEW darned well that the line needed to
go deeper than two feet; I was from town and didn't know that country stuff
yet.

PS -- I save all the seed I can, and specialize in heirloom OPs.  I call it
"market niche" and my slightly weird apocalyptic self-sufficiency hobby.  I'm
a writer, I'm supposed to be weird.  A therapist even said so.  He also says
he's glad I'm up here on the hill doing this and he knows where to find me,
just in case.  Of course, he hasn't joined the CSA to keep me in business.

I'm rambling.  It's either the sinus medication, the lucidity of fever, or
those really delicious smells coming from the big pot of garlic chicken soup
on the back of the stove, goat sausage rainbow pepper deep-dish pizza in the
oven, and black bean chili bubbling next to the soup (yes everything's raised
here, canned or frozen from this summer).  I'm furiously disappointed that I'm
too ill to build the additional storm shelter in the goats' run-in today
(can't get a full lungful of air and don't want to get sicker), so I'm cooking
for the rest of the month.  And when I'm off-center with my body thinking
about being sick, it sure reminds me why I started this work in the first
place!

And now our lurkers know what we CSA farmers do in the "off" season -- besides
carry firewood!

Dori