Re: protecting wooden poles

>After tamping the soil around the pole, fill the hose pipe with sump oil
>from any machinery.    This should prolong the life of the poles
>indefinately and topping up the sump oil should only need to be done every
>12 months or so.

What happens to the disappearing oil? It shouldnt be allowed to drain into
the ground. You might try dipping the poles into lye, or borax cleaner for
varying periods of time. Both of these materials will eventually be
metabolized by the highly volatile tropical environment. I would think the
lye would actually be safer. Have you tried indiginous species that might
have a resistance to the local conditions? They have got to have something
better than Osage orange down there, which can last up to twenty years
untreated in U.S. soils.
           Someone once said that the laziest farmers make the best fences,
because they don't want to have to put them up again. . .!)