Re: Chemical Residuals/ Johnson Grass

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:29:15 EST, FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

>I'm also building perimeter fences so cattle have not yet been allowed to
>graze johnson grass pasture areas. Next season they will. I'm also not sure
>of protein, nutrient make up of Johnson grass?

Johnson grass is in the same family as cane sorghum which is highly
valued as fodder. The regressive genetic trait "shattercane" in
sorghum is the result of accidental cross-pollination of cane or grain
sorghum by Johnson grass. When seed from affected sorghum is harvested
for replanting the problem becomes compounded. Shattercane is when the
seed heads mature and dry prematurely and fall off the plant when
lightly disturbed; normally the seed heads hold together, fast to
their stems, for successful harvest. Sudan grass, often planted as a
hybrid, Sudex, may also be in this family but I'm not sure. I think
all, including Johnson grass, are valued highly as animal feed.

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflondon@mindspring.com
london@metalab.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/london