Re: Big City Forest, was Re: GBlist: Wood salvage & reuse

energyi@nicom.com writes:
>There is an organization in the Bronx, Bronx 2000, that takes discarded
>pallets and other waste woods and makes beautiful furniture. Big City
>Forest, 1809 Carter Ave, Bronx, NY 10457 (718)731-3931.

>Big City Forest hires unemployed persons, teaches them woodworking skills by
>disassembling pallets, and skills in manufacturing nice furniture; then they
>try to find these skilled people jobs in the woodworking industry.

I spoke with one of the guys from Big City Forest at the recent Sustainable
Building Conference in Miami.  He mentioned that they're interested in opening
shops in other cities, and specifically mentioned Houston as a target, because
of all the shipping that comes through there - especially from central and
south america. He said a lot of the wood from there was really very good
quality.

If you know of anyone interested in such a venture, connect them up.  I had
also received written materials with a similar pitch from  them about a year
ago.

BC

--

Bill Christensen