Re: GBlist: Re: Greywater & Lighting in NYC

In another message I mentioned that occupancy sensors are not a problem
vis-a-vis energy use of the ballast.  It is certainly true that they are
a waste of money if they are not used in a space with intermittent
occupancy.  If the lights are turned off anyway (conscientous people)
then you're talking about a very expensive light switch and if the space
is used constantly the savings will be very small.  The NYS Energy Code
requires individual switching for large spaces and I *believe* requires
occupancy snesors in new construction in many or all cases.

kwright@SMTP-ROCKVILLE.dynamac.com wrote:

>     Marilyn,
>
>     I had never heard that before.  The US EPA Green Lights program
>     recommends them, however after further reading I've discovered that
>     they do recommend them for spaces where "occupancy is infrequent or
>     unpredictable, such as private offices, conference rooms, storage
>     rooms, or rest rooms".
>
>     The more I think about it, the less appropriate they are for the home,
>     especially if they use that much energy to turn on.
>
>     I suppose it depends on how much energy the sensor takes to start and
>     run versus how often people forget to turn off the lights for long
>     periods of time.  Did the people at Phillips give you any numbers for
>     the energy requirements?
>
>     Thanks for the info.
>
>     Ken

Warren C. Liebold

wliebold@waonline.com
wliebold@pppmail.nyser.net

Director of Conservation
New York City Department of Environmental Protection