Re: GBlist: Fluorescent lights - to switch off or not? That is

With all respect to your Dad, that has not been true for many years.
The very long period of time you quote, I think, was never right, at
least as stated.  If it were, you'd cause an enormous spike.  I think
what they have meant is that for an instant you have a surge, which is
3-4 times the draw of the fixture under normal conditions.  That's
different than a surge equal in a second or less to the energy which
would have been used in 3-4 hours.

Further, if that were actually true with current fixtures and ballasts,
no one would have agreed to go for occupancy sensors.

timex@pathcom.com wrote:

> Hal:
>
> Well, after reading all that, I will say a couple of things:
>
> 1) Your experts and mine disagree.  The engineer from Philips, )and
> my father, both) said that the surge, which I'm assuming is what your
> chap calls the inrush, costs between 3.5 and 4 hours of energy.
>
> 2) I was also told that switching on and off did not so much affect
> the life of the lamp, as the life of the ballast.  I did not see
> (though I admit I got somewhat dizzy reading that post) anything that
> addressed that point.
>
> I'm going to file this post for rereading, as I just got through 14
> hours of work, and may have missed more than most of the math.
>
> Marilyn
> "Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals
> could believe them."
> -quoted from Lessons at the Halfway Point

Warren C. Liebold

wliebold@waonline.com
wliebold@pppmail.nyser.net

Director of Conservation
New York City Department of Environmental Protection