Re: GBlist: MASS of furniture, furnishings & appliances

Jorg Ostrowski wrote:

> I am presenting working out the "Building Time Constant" (BTC) for our
> demonstration project. To do that we need to calculate component and total
> mass, then the heat storage capacity by using the specific heat for
> each. We then will have to use the heat loss characteristics to arrive at
> a final number in hours.
>
> But for now we are trying to refine the above. We have already estimated the
> mass of the entire project but are weak in the above category. For a family
> of 4, we estimate the above at about  4080 Kg (9000 pounds). Can anyone
> correct or improve this estimate, or offer useful precedents/papers on
> BTC or building mass? I  would be grateful for any useful suggestions.

Particularly noteworthy and useable is the material from the Vital Signs
curriculum materials project, located at
http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedr/vs/inf/rps.html

I highly recommend
"Thermal Mass in Passive Solar and Energy Conserving Buildings"
   by  Bruce Haglund and Kurt Rathmann from the University of Idaho

There is also some excellent information located at
http://www.aud.ucla.edu/energy-design-tools/

in particular, the Solar 5.4 software simulation program and the
examples and users manual that accompany it.