GBlist: Re: Architects

On 7/22/97 7:00 AM Barry Goldberg wrote:

>I'm a member of a developing cohousing community in Durango, Co, which
>is southwest Colorado, 4 corners region.  We are beginning to explore
>the issue of needing to find an architect to work with.  We are
>interested in natural and energy efficient building.  We are looking for
>an architect that has experience with cohousing or is willing to work
>with a group that uses concensus decision making.  Like to find someone
>in the southwest region, closer to home.  We are using the lot
>development model, but see the benifits of coming up with some basic
>houseplans for people to chose from and coordinating our building.  Also
>need to design and build a common house.  Anyone interested or any
>suggestions of people I can contact?  Thanks

David Barrett (303.449.1141) is an exceptional architect, who has
excellent experience with everything you want.  He also is not cheap, and
is overbooked at this time.  A terrific value would be Matt Worswick
(303.477.1155);  he is the designer and resident of Harmony Village in
Golden, was behind most of the design work for Nyland and Highline
communities, is good with solar, and has a low rate.

Something to consider (at the risk of offending a large group of talented
people) is:  why limit your search to an architect?  There is no
requirement to use one for what you are doing.   Consider drawing up a
list of what you want, and then finding a person, numerous people, a
group, yourselves, or any combination of the above from any professional
or non-professional background to fulfill your needs.

There is potential overlap of expensive services in the process your are
undertaking.  Design - Development - Build, to use one oversimplified
scenario, involves hiring different people for each task, which takes
extra time and money.  Potentially, these three stages can be preformed
by one company.

As you are well aware, Jim Leach of Wonderland Development Corporation
(303.449.3232) has done five times as many cohousing projects as anyone
else in the country.  Their design services will not approach that of
Dave Barrett's, but working with a full service company has its
advantages.

I am also the Project Manager for a small cohousing development.   I have
no formal education in anything, and yet the group felt comfortable
having me do the site planning, development, financial, and legal
groundwork for the community.  Some of the individual owners will retain
an architect for the design of thier own homes, and some will not.  I am
not lauding myself, only suggesting by this example that you have many
options available to you.

Take Care!

Buzz Burrell
Bolder Building