GBlist: the other side of scary window stories

Friends,
In my search for window horror stories I have recently been reminded of
"downstream" horrors/opportunities that may also arise when window
performance decisions are not coupled with appropriate "whole house"
 perspective.  I will share this abbreviated story with the list (the long
version will be discussed at the EEBA conference) with the HOPES OF:
1) enlightenment coupled with humor
2) disgust at such "bad moves"
3) eliciting more stories along this line of thinking
Regards,
Chris Mathis
MCSquared

My buddy Steve buys a new house in Orlando.  Typical single-glazed aluminum
windows.  Big air conditioner.  Calls me up.  "Chris, I can't USE half my
house!  South and west sides are just too hot!"  What do I propose?  (and
remember the value of free advice....)  "Hey Steve, do what everyone ELSE in
Florida does.... call up the sun control film installer."  Steve does.  Calls
back and says "THANKS.  Works great.  Windows are a little blue, but now I
can use my whole house.  And he only charged me $100 a window!"

and now for "the rest of the story...." (and some perspective on such
decisions)

Steve's situation is not unusual.  His builder installed $89 windows and
about 7 tons of air conditioning (oversized anyway).  Steve is happy because
(ignorance is bliss) and he can now use his whole home.  So, where is the
horror story?
1.  Steve got to MORTGAGE the $89 window at 7.25 % for 30 years.  Complete
with all the deductions implied.
2.  Steve got to put an additional $100 each on his VISA at between 15% and
24%.  Without deductions.
3.  Steve's builder could have probably installed a $200 window for the same
basic COST to Steve but with potentially dramatic BENEFITS (energy, comfort,
UV protection, peak load reduction, glare, reduced temp swings, etc.)
4.  Steve's builder installed an air conditioner that is now about 30% to 50%
MORE oversized than it was!  Which will now (a) short cycle MORE (b) not
dehumidify properly (c) have shorter life (d) cost more to operate and (e) be
noisier than necessary because of the similarly oversized fans....
5.  Steve gets to do it all again in 5 to 10 years.... (or whatever the life
of the sun control film is....) or until his compressor blows up or until he
has to replace IT with one more appropriately sized in the first place.

Without a "whole house perspective" (by the builder when FIRST constructing
and by Steve/me when "fixing") problems like these can arise.

As you consider other "window horror stories" I would appreciate any other
"whole house-related" ones that you might have.  (door and skylight stories
are also welcome:)

Lesson # 2.  All of you out there installing energy efficient windows,
upgraded insulation, weatherization and improved HVAC packages, PLEASE look
at the big picture.  First costs aren't everything....
Chris