Re: GBlist: the other side of scary window stories

Hi, Chris--

Well...Florida...isn't that where all those roofs blew off in the hurricane
because they were never actually nailed on? AND they passed field
inspection?

Smug in Oregon

>Friends,
>In my search for window horror stories I have recently been reminded of
>"downstream" horrors/opportunities that may also arise when window
>performance decisions are not coupled with appropriate "whole house"
> perspective.  I will share this abbreviated story with the list (the long
>version will be discussed at the EEBA conference) with the HOPES OF:
>1) enlightenment coupled with humor
>2) disgust at such "bad moves"
>3) eliciting more stories along this line of thinking
>Regards,
>Chris Mathis
>MCSquared
>
>My buddy Steve buys a new house in Orlando.  Typical single-glazed aluminum
>windows.  Big air conditioner.  Calls me up.  "Chris, I can't USE half my
>house!  South and west sides are just too hot!"  What do I propose?  (and
>remember the value of free advice....)  "Hey Steve, do what everyone ELSE in
>Florida does.... call up the sun control film installer."  Steve does.  Calls
>back and says "THANKS.  Works great.  Windows are a little blue, but now I
>can use my whole house.  And he only charged me $100 a window!"
>
>and now for "the rest of the story...." (and some perspective on such
>decisions)
>
>Steve's situation is not unusual.  His builder installed $89 windows and
>about 7 tons of air conditioning (oversized anyway).  Steve is happy because
>(ignorance is bliss) and he can now use his whole home.  So, where is the
>horror story?
>1.  Steve got to MORTGAGE the $89 window at 7.25 % for 30 years.  Complete
>with all the deductions implied.
>2.  Steve got to put an additional $100 each on his VISA at between 15% and
>24%.  Without deductions.
>3.  Steve's builder could have probably installed a $200 window for the same
>basic COST to Steve but with potentially dramatic BENEFITS (energy, comfort,
>UV protection, peak load reduction, glare, reduced temp swings, etc.)
>4.  Steve's builder installed an air conditioner that is now about 30% to 50%
>MORE oversized than it was!  Which will now (a) short cycle MORE (b) not
>dehumidify properly (c) have shorter life (d) cost more to operate and (e) be
>noisier than necessary because of the similarly oversized fans....
>5.  Steve gets to do it all again in 5 to 10 years.... (or whatever the life
>of the sun control film is....) or until his compressor blows up or until he
>has to replace IT with one more appropriately sized in the first place.
>
>Without a "whole house perspective" (by the builder when FIRST constructing
>and by Steve/me when "fixing") problems like these can arise.
>
>As you consider other "window horror stories" I would appreciate any other
>"whole house-related" ones that you might have.  (door and skylight stories
>are also welcome:)
>
>Lesson # 2.  All of you out there installing energy efficient windows,
> [...]

O'Brien & Associates
Environmental Building Consultants
Portland General Electric Earth Smart program
obrien@hevanet.com