Re: GBlist: Garages

Hi Beverly,

As others have stated, having an attached garage, especially one with
return ducting running through it, can lead to IAQ problems.
Minnegasco did a study of homes where CO detectors kept going off
on  "false alarms".  They found that very often the problem wasn't a
bad detector, but an attached garage.  Cars were started up in the
morning, backed out of the garage and then the garage door was
closed.  CO migrated into the home and set off the alarm.  By the
time anyone came to diagnose the problem, the CO concentrations had
dissipated and no one could find the source.  They have a 120 page
report on this study ($20) and a video called "The Garage to House
Connection" ($25).  You can call them at 612/321-4880.  I don't know
if they dealt with fixing the problem, or just diagnosing it.

As for fixes, first you must diagnose what is the pathway into
the house.  There are several things that might be contributing to
the problem.  As Terry Brennan pointed out, one of the keys is the
pressure differentials between the house and garage and the garage to
outside.  If you want to try pressurizing the garage with respect
to outdoors using  A/C supply air, you need to also make sure that
the pressure of the garage  with respect to the house  is negative,
so the garage air doesn't get pushed into the house, too.

The problem with this solution is that if the ducts in the garage are
leaky, every time the air handler kicks on, the pressures in the
garage and the house will be altered.  And if the return ductsand
plenum are leaky, they are serving as a direct pathway for the garage
air to get into the house.  If there are leaks in the returns, then
this is most likely your primary problem and should be addressed
first.

I would caution against going out and sealing them yourself, though,
without having someone who has been trained in duct diagnostics to
help out.  Sealing ducts can alter the airflows in the house nd
garage - the fix can cause other problems.  I would recommend you
contact someone in your area who does this professionally.  Florida
was one of the first areas of the country to have utility-sponsored
duct sealing programs, so you should be able to find someone.

 You can also try writing to the Affordable Comfort Home Performance
Association list serve to get a diagnostician/contractor.  Their
address is ACHPA@athens.dis.anl.gov.   Or you can check out their
website at home-performance.org.  (BTW, if you have questions of this
nature in the future, you may also want to address your note to
ACHPA.  They focus on how homes work, where things go wrong and how
to fix them.)  An advantage to contacting ACHPA is that you might be
more likely to find someone who has been trained in series leakage,
too, who might be able to help determine the situation with the air
flows in the house and the interactions caused by mechanical
ventilation.  They may also have CO detection equipment.

And finally, you can also try to tighten up the barrier between the
house and the garage.  One of the most effective ways is to fill the
walls with a dense pack of cellulose insulation.  It can be installed
so tight that it really impedes airflow.  And when it is blown in, it
goes everywhere, reaching and filling  all of the nooks and crannies
in the wall. But I would deal with the ducts, first.

Hope this helps.

CM

> To:            greenbuilding@crest.org
> Subject:       GBlist: Garages
> From:          environs.com@juno.com (Beverly A. Weiter)
> Date:          Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:11:51 EDT

> Hi,
>
> I read the recent posting re: garages and it reminded me of a friend of
> mine who has asked me for help on a problem in her home affecting her
> health.  Her 10-year old home here in S. Florida was built with the air
> handler in the garage.  Since buying the house she has experienced
> burning eyes and some breathing discomfort.
>
> Initially, her car was leaking antifreeze but that situation has been
> corrected.  She is still concerned that
> fumes from things like paint, garden chemicals and the car exhaust may be
> being drawn into the a/c system.
>
> Any thoughts on this situation and possible solutions would be
> appreciated.
>
> I particularly would like to hear from John Bower.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Beverly A. Weiter
> Environs Interiors Inc.
> Boca Raton, FL

Catherine M. Muller
Project Coordinator, Multi-family Services
National Center for Appropriate Technology
16 Spring Street, Glouster, Ohio 45732
cmuller@ncat.org
614/767-9000 (phone); 614/767-9033 (fax)