[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Converting An old House to Renewables

Steve Paschke  <AE%SJSUVM1.BITNET@cmsa.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

>If your thinking of re-siding soon, add 2" of rigid foam to the exterior
>of your house.

How about some solar siding? Put Dynaglas or Replex single wall corrugated
clear polycarbonate sheets on the house, with an inch air gap behind
them, a layer of 80% greenhouse shadecloth, another inch air gap, and
holes at the top and bottom of the wall, with plastic flap dampers, so
that in the wintertime, house air flows up between the glazing and the
shadecloth, sideways thru the shadecloth, and back into the house. In
summer, you'd want to vent air from the top of the wall to the outside,
and vent house air into the wall at the bottom, if the house is not
air-conditioned, otherwise vent outside air into the wall at the bottom.

>  The most cost effective solar power at present is solar hot water heating.

Really? I used to spend a lot more on space heating than water heating,
and passive solar space heating is usually more efficient, since the
temperatures are lower, and cheaper, since there are no moving liquids,
pumps, heat exchangers, plumbing, etc.

>If your going to change your water heater, buy a solar heater.

Or better yet, perhaps, try making a water heater as described in Q7
of the second posting below...

Article: 2080 of alt.architecture.alternative