[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solar Energy

In article <DFvJuB.5II@eskimo.com>, Stephen Lajoie <lajoie@eskimo.com> wrote:

>The point Gary was trying to make was that the 16 foot (cube?) water box
>didn't hold as much energy after a certain time period as his furnace
>could put out in 2 hours.

So what? The box ONLY supplies heat to the house when the sun is not shining.
And a 16' cube is overkill. At 130 F, it would store over 5 million Btu
of useful heat, enough to keep a well-insulated house warm for 2 months,
in my 5500 degree day Philadelphia climate.

>His post does not say that his furnace was on for 2160 hours, just that
>he needed heat for that long. The furnace may or may not be on. But the
>heat in the water box was expended in the first two hours, and he had the
>rest of the winter to go.

I don't recall that he lived at the North Pole :-)

Nick