[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Controlling the solar scourge

Joni Jarvenkyla <jjj@walrus.megabaud.fi> wrote:
>Nick Pine <nick@vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu> wrote:

>>.I know that Siemens designed a PV-module with an integrated inverter that
>>.you can just plug in the socket.

>>Voila. Now will someone please design a nice 110V version?

BTW, something like this was apparently used in Australia, a
Siemens/Butler joint venture. Does anyone know anything about that?

>If I produce solar power enough to cover my own comsumption and even
>leave extra, will my electric meter run backwards when the extra
>electricity is oozing out of my house wiring?

Yes, unless the utility has done somethihng to prevent that, eg
installed a mechanical one-way ratchet, so the wheel inside can only
spin in one direction (even electronic meters will run backwards, if
not disabled--these usually have wheels inside too, to make it easy to
check the calibration.)

You would want to electricity to ooze out in the grid direction BTW,
not all over the house. This usually happens quite naturally.

>If yes, wouldn't I soon be facing monstrous bills from the electric
>company, as if my meter reading is lower than 2 months ago, they will
>surely assume that the meter shows my monstrous consumption!?

One hopes they would make the right choice, if your electric meter
reading should change from say, 50,000 kWh to 49,500 kWh, between
believing that in the last month you opened a major aluminum plant,
consuming 99,500 kWh, ie a continuous monthly electrical consumption
of 138 kW, eg 630 Amps at 220 Volts, or believing your story that you
sold them back a bit of electrical power. Then again, you might want
to install your own ratchet, to avoid confusing them, and just donate
the extra power to them, in exchange for their cooperation and benevolence.

Nick