[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Today's high, in the solar attic

Dan Settles <dan_settles@cellbio.duke.edu> wrote:

>Hi Nick,

Hi Dan :-)

>Glad to see you are still sharing information on your solar experiment.

I'm happy that there is more than one of them underway: David Boyer's
greenhouse, the small solar house on top of the science building at the
local college (donations still welcome :-), and the roof of my house. Now
that the small solar house is up on the roof and working, the next thing
I want to do is to bring down some hot air from my attic with a fan, and
add a lean-to sunspace on the front of my house, using some curved steel
pipes and plastic film glazing, standard commercial greenhouse materials.

>I was wondering if you are approaching the upper temperature limit for the
>polycarbonate.  I can't remember what that upper limit is, but I was
>wondering if you may start degrading your roof if it gets much warmer?

I don't know what the upper limit is either, but nothing's sagged or melted
yet, and the fires are under control :-) The manufacturer says that a
continuous temperature of 130 F is no problem.

Nick

Follow-Ups: References: