[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Solar Oven tests

	Well, while I had hoped for something grand to report like "We
cooked our christmas dinner in our solar oven", due to weather that wasn't
possible. I have to settle for reporting that we reheated leftovers and
baked bread on the 29th. It took about 2 hours for the bread which even
managed to get a little brown despite the relatively low temp of 275.

	On the 24th I conducted a water boiling test in which 1 quart of
water was placed in a covered pyrex dish. The air temperature was in the
mid to low 50s durring the test. Here are the air and water temps observed

	Time	Air	Water

	12:00	?	65
	12:15	80	150
	12:30	105	190
	12:45	127	210
	13:00	149	225
	13:15	170	240
	13:30	186	240	Steam observed on oven window
	13:45	194	250	Let steam out and wiped glass
	14:00	196	250	unsealed oven to let steam escape
	14:20	194	240

   At the end of the test bubble were observed in the water but definitly not
what you would call a rolling boil. Still it was hot enough to sterilize
stuff in. The parabolic collectors reach higher temperatures and are better
if all you want to do is boil water but the box types are quite adequate for
cooking in, even in winter if the sky is clear.

	Our oven is a "Sun Oven" manufactured by Burns-Milwaukee Inc. It
has interior dimensions of 14"W 14"D 9"H but due to the pivoted cooking tray
not all that volume is avaliable for food. The tray is removable for cleaning
but except in high summer is needed to allow the oven to be tilted up to face
the sun. Cost $150-$200. They are built to last so you might find a used one
for sale at a lower price. They are sold thru Real Goods and most other
places that deal in solar products.

	Since we just got it this summer I haven't had much time to
experiment but plan on taking it to the park and on campouts next year to find
out for ourselves how well it works. At first glance though I'm quite happy
with it and expect to get a fair amount of educational milage from it by
showing others the advantages of solar energy.

--
I get most of my electricity, at home, from the sun. | Bitnet:   mikep@unmb
It's a hobby, who cares if it's cost effective!      | Internet: mikep@unm.edu