[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: solar charts

Margaret Cyrzan  <cyrzan@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:

>I am interested in finding the position of the sun at noon at approx. 40
>degrees latitude in July.  In other words at what angle is the sun from the
>horizon.  Where can I get such information from?

You might look in the second (1991) edition of Duffie and Beckman's Wiley
book, _Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes_. At noon on June 21, the sun
gets up to 90+23.5-lat, ie 73.5 degrees above the horizon at 40 N lat. On
Dec 22 the max elevation is 90-23.5-lat, eg 26.5 degrees above the horizon
at 40 N lat. At other times of year, the max angle above the horizon follows
a shifted sine wave in Iqbal's formula, 90-lat+23.45sin((284+day)360/365),
where day is the day of the year from 1 (Jan 1) to 365 (Dec 31).

>Also, does anyone know where I might find a chart that shows the angle at
>different times in the day for different months at different latitudes?

There's a formula in D&B's book above.

Nick