Re: [seedsavers] Wanted Plum Seeds- Now several plants wanted and have plums, blackberries

LINDARAY@att.net wrote:

> We probably do, but when I hear of a tree of exceptional taste and
> well-recommended, that's the one I want :).

That tree is gone but I have one on my property that grew from seed that fell from the sky.
Its caliper is about 4-5" and it bears well, for the first time last summer. Fruits were a bit orange/yellow
and quite tasty. Probably good for preserves.
The neighbor has a big wild grove of them secluded in an opening in thick woods. Lots of seeds available from there
if I can dodge the copperhead snakes, poison ivy and possible black widow spiders unexpected in the brush.

> I'm a jam person too, I like the fruit in it, and crack a few seeds/pits
> too :).

> Your great suggestions have got my mouth watering already. Sound like we
> have the same taste :).

Definitely a jam person here, Linda though preserves describe it better. I also like pollar honey, dark, almost black
with unique flavor and high antioxidant content.
Jelly, jam and preserves, all different one coarser than the other. Plum, apricot, sour cherry and..
could jams be made from citrus instead of the usual sweet marmalade, like calmondin
and cumquat jam - actually I think you could combine these two with some apricot and plum
for a balanced nice jam. Then there are conserves .... and mincemeat ... and chutneys.
Here you have a spectrum ranging from sweet spreads for baked products to not so sweet condiments for
meats and other dishes, with chutney on the spicier end.

Actually, back to old Usenet again. The rec.foods.* heirarchy traditionally has some of the most interesting information
on historic foods and food preservation.

rec.food.equipment
rec.food.historic
rec.food.preserving

And the famous Rec.Food.Preserving FAQ (v.7.08)
In Six Parts
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/ Main Menu (there is a mini version here)
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/part1
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/part2
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/part3
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/part4
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/part5
http://faqs.org/faqs/food/preserving/part6

r.f.preservation example:

Green Tomato Chutney
-
Put 1 pint vinegar and 1lb. Demerara sugar in a pan and heat gently until
sugar melts.
Add:
1 lb. chopped green tomatoes
1 lb. chopped cooking apples
¼ lb. chopped shallots
½ lb. chopped sultanas
½ lb. white sugar
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of salt
Bring mixture to boil and cook slowly stirring all the time until it
thickens
p.s. You can add more ginger if you like.