[seedsavers] saving tomato seeds

Ok, let me open up a big can of worms (or maybe not).

On another list someone asked about saving seeds from tomatoes, among
other things. I would have just as soon someone else had answered it,
but I know how it is to ask a question and have it lie there and no one
answer it, so after a couple of days I replied.  True to form, someone
answered it before my answer hit there. My answer was basically that you
can save seed from non-potato leaved varieties, non-double flowered and
non-currant types without worrying too much about crossing.  Someone
immediately "corrected" me by saying all heirloom varieties are "old"
and have open stile flowers and will cross readily. I would have thought
if that was the case it would have been noted in at least one of the
books I've read on seed saving.  About the closest thing I saw anywhere
was to pull a few flowers off the plant and look at the flowers to see
if they were open or closed, of course, pictures were not provided so
you knew what to look for. ;-)

Stuff on the net is conflicting. Some say you should isolate or bag
everything, some say you shouldn't worry about any of it it'll all be
fine, with all kinds of people in the middle with do this and don't do that.

So, Heirloom varieties with "tomato type leaves"(as opposed to potato
type leaves): apt to cross without bagging or isolation of more than 5
feet, or not?

Inquiring minds wanna know,
Morgan