Re: [seedsavers] saving tomato seeds

Mayo here.

>From what I've learned and written about seed saving over the years,
potato-leaved, currant and double-flowered varieties have longer stiles than
regular-leaved varieties, which makes them easier for pollinators to access
- hence cross pollinating.

allowing more space between these types (35-50 feet), or having buildings or
plantings of other types (flowers, herbs, beans, etc.) between them is a way
to prevent cross-pollination.

Regular-leaved varieties seem to do very well at producing true seed with 10
- 20 ft between the different varieties.

Then there's always Aunt Ruby....known affectionately in the trade as 'Aunt
Ruby the Harlot'.  No matter how careful the grower/seed-saver (or seed
steward....) is with spacing it so it does not cross, there's often a plant
of small red tomatoes with little or no flavor interspersed with the large,
green luscious ones.

When I see this I remember how very little I know about Mother Nature and
her workings, and how blessed I am to be allowed to play in her gardens!

I hope this helps,
Mayo