Reddish egret at Sunset Beach

Birders:

Just wanted to correct a word in Will Cook's posting .   His directions are
correct for getting to the West End of Sunset Beach (rather thatn the East
End).  The Reddish Egret(s) are usually found at the West End so following
his instructions will get you to the right place.

It may have been a typo.  Some people,  however do not realize that the
ocean off the barrier Islands in this part of North Carolina lies South.  So
the West end is on your right as you face the ocean and the East end in on
your left.

Hope this will help.  I have been a victim of confusing birding directions a
few times so wanted to clear this item up!

If you come birding this way check the dirtiest pond at Ocean Isle Sewerage
Treatment Plant.  It's got lots of shorebirds.  I think I had a Stilt
Sandpiper among the pectorals, peeps, solitaries and both yellowlegs.  Am
going back as soon as I can to recheck.

By the way, a few weeks ago, I was able to get away between visitors, and
was delighted to find a warbling vireo (full-sized and fully plumaged) being
fed by an adult in the same  area  where Will Cook's  CBC group found one in
the New River area back in June.  I would have liked to have been on his
field trip but was out in Colorado getting a White-tailed ptarmigan and
other gaps in the life list filled.

My rental car got hit by a deer at dusk, so it wasn't all fun and games.

Good birding to all
Mary McDavit,   osprey@nccoast.net     Sunset Beach.